Wednesday 11 July 2012

Perfect Stranger: A true story...

A little while back I was driving along and happened to tune into Denis Walter doing an interview with a woman named Kay Schubach...I didn't know anything about her or why she was being interviewed as the interview was well under way when I tuned in.  However, the depth of the interview really had me curious as to what had happened to her in a relationship and why she stayed in that relationship for so long.

I immediately bought the book 'Perfect Stranger'....it is a true story and a frightening one...here  Kay is an Australian woman who has published a 'brutally honest cautionary tale of obsession and desire'.  I have to say it was spellbinding...here was a woman to quote the Penguin paperback, '"almost has it all - a great job, a beautiful apartment, a life of champagne and mixing it with Sydney's A-list, and a steady relationship".

This was not a hard book to read, quite the opposite...it is well written and flows very well...I read it in a couple of days.  What I found hard to believe was that here was this intelligent, successful woman with the world at her fingertips and she subjects herself to a most cruel relationship and loses her self esteem when the romance turns sour and violent...and judging by the reviews I've read here, it is apparent a lot of readers agree with me, it is heartbreaking.


As the story outlines goes...''The man in the story, Simon, goes from being charming to controlling, from magnetic to threatening.  By the time Kay uncovers his violent past, Simon has decided he will not let her go - and he's not a man to be argued with...Trapped in a terrifying relationship, isolated from friends and family, Kay must decide what she values most, and fight for it''.


Perfect Stranger : A True Story of Desire and Obsession - Kay Schubach


This is a book I believe every woman should read...we can all be vulnerable at times and it is certainly an eye opener for those of us who think we are not vulnerable and it wouldn't happen to us.  Well, it did happen to Kay Schubach and she paid dearly for the mistakes she unfortunately made.  I think it is also a book men should read as well, not just women...there are lessons to be learnt from this book...Kay Schubach certainly was a brave woman to put this into print...particularly in light of the ending!  Have you read it?  Let me know your comments if you have or when you do.


Perfect Stranger by Kay Schubach...here

Good reading...Wendy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment